- This event has passed.
LGBTQ Community Day featuring a special showing of Kings, Queens & In-Betweens
September 23 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat., Sept. 23, 2017 • 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Ohio History Center, Columbus
Celebrate Ohio’s LGBTQ history with the Gay Ohio History Initiative (GOHI) and the Ohio History Connection. LGBTQ Community Day is a GOHI project designed to preserve, collect and share the stories of Ohio’s LGBTQ community by digitizing materials that represent the LGBTQ experience in Ohio. We will also be sharing Ohio’s LGBTQ past through a display of current GOHI collection items, special curator talks and exhibitors from Ohio LGBTQ organizations. Sign up to have up to three items digitized here!
Beginning at 2:30pm, we are partnering with Equitas Health for a special showing of Kings, Queens and In-Betweens a nationally recognized documentary film that explores the thriving Columbus drag scene through the compelling stories of 8 performers. After the film, stay for a panel of performers in the film as they discuss drag, gender and life as a performer.
September 23rd can be a FREE admission day thanks to the Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day Live! Sign up here and receive free admission to Community Day events and Ohio History Center (does not include Kings, Queens & In-Betweens ticket)
Admission for Community Day events (excluding film) and Ohio History Center:
Youth (6–12): $5
Senior (60+): $9
Member & Child (5 & under): Free
Admission for Kings, Queens & In-Betweens:
$5 can be purchased individually or as an extra add on to Community Day admission (movie admission will be free for Ohio History Connection Members)
Purchase your admission to Community Day or Kings, Queens and In-Betweens or both! HERE
LGBTQ Community Day Schedule of Events
All guests are welcome to celebrate Ohio’s history with these activities
All Day (while supplies lasts) Craft Station: Proud Flags & Rainbow Octopuses (Museum Floor)
- Feeling Crafty? Learn about the many flags of the LGBTQ movement and get hands on making your very own rainbow octopus
10am-2pm Ohio LGBTQ Community Organization History (Red Carpet Area)
- Come learn about the history of LGBTQ organizations across Ohio and the resources they provide to their communities
10am-2pm Collection Connection: Gay Ohio History Initiative (Museum Floor)
- Stop by and talk to one of our Curators to see the objects that we currently have in the Gay Ohio History Initiative Collection
10am-2pm Manuscript Madness: Gay Ohio History Initiative (Library – 3rd Floor)
- Take the elevator to the 3rd floor reading room to discover some of the photographs and printed materials in the Gay Ohio History Initiative Collection
10am-2pm Digitizing History (Gallery 3)
- Schedule an appointment to have your history digitized by our team of experts! Drop in’s are allowed, but only on a first come, first serve basis for any slots not scheduled.
11am-1:30pm Hungry? Challah! food truck is serving up lunch by the front entrance
- Seating and vending to enjoy your meal is available on the plaza level
12pm Guest Curator Talk: Transgender Ohio Veterans (Arthur C. Johnson Auditorium)
- Hear personal histories from trans Ohioans who have served their country
11am, 1pm, 2pm & 3pm
Echoes in Time Theater (Discovery Theater)
- 11am & 2pm, Natalie Clifford Barney: Join us as we take a look into the life of Dayton native, poet and gay rights activist Natalie Clifford Barney
- 1pm & 3pm, Crash of the Airship Shenandoah: Listen as an onlooker recalls the day the Shenandoah fell from the sky in this one-person live performance
2:30pm In Partnership with Equitas Health, a special showing of Kings, Queens & In-Betweens (Arthur C. Johnson Auditorium)
For updates and more information visit ohiohistory.org/LGBTQday or call 614.297.2476