- Willis-Hurwin, Davida. Freaks and Revelations. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009.
- Ferentinos, Susan. Interpreting LGBT History at Museums and Historic Sites. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2014.
- Bronski, Michael. A Queer History of the United States. Beacon Press, 2012.
- Smithsonian National Museum of American History: HIV and AIDS 30 Years Ago http://hivaids.omeka.net/
- University of Rochester River Campus Libraries: AIDS Education Posters Collection http://aep.lib.rochester.edu/
- The NAMES Project Foundation: The AIDS Memorial Quilt The mission of The NAMES Project Foundation is to preserve, care for and use The AIDS Memorial Quilt to foster healing, heighten awareness, and inspire action in the age of AIDS. http://www.aidsquilt.org/
- U.S. National Library of Medicine – Against the Odds: Action on AIDS Part of a larger exhibit on global health issues, Action on AIDS traces the history of disease, activism and response through primary source materials, audio tours and video clips. A Health & Human Rights Lesson Plan is available for download. http://apps.nlm.nih.gov/againsttheodds/exhibit/action_on_aids/action_on_aids.cfm
- AIDS.gov: A Timeline of AIDS http://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/overview/aids-timeline/
- PBS American Experience: Stonewall Uprising http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/introduction/stonewall-intro/
- Columbia University Libraries: Stonewall and Beyond: Lesbian and Gay Culture http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/eresources/exhibitions/sw25/
- AARP: The Stonewall Riots 40 Years Later http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/rights/stonewall_40th_anniversary/
- Vanity Fair – Boogie Nights: An Oral History of Disco by Lisa Robinson http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/02/oral-history-of-disco-201002
- The Trevor Project: Trevor Resources for Educators and Parents The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth. http://www.thetrevorproject.org/trevorresources
- It Gets Better Project Project created by Dan Savage to inspire hope for young people facing harassment. http://www.itgetsbetter.org/
- GLSEN Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network: Educator Resources GLSEN (The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) is a national education organization working to ensure safe schools for ALL students, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity. http://www.glsen.org/
- WPSU: Out in the Silence A film and campaign for fairness and equality in rural and small town America. A discussion guide is available to promote open and constructive dialogue. http://wpsu.org/outinthesilence/
- Implementing Lessons that Matter A PDF for teachers that explains the benefits and instruction of implementing LGBTQ history into a lesson plan. https://gsanetwork.org/files/aboutus/ImplementingLessons_fullreport.pdf
- Stonewall Columbus 614-299-7764 www.stonewallcolumbus.org This local community and resource center serves the Central Ohio LGBT community by providing programs and services that enhance the well-being and visibility of a diverse community through discovery, affirmation, and celebration. Additionally, Stonewall Columbus hosts the annual Pride holiday
- BRAD (Buckeye Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf) email@example.com www.bradohio.com Protects and promotes the interests and well-being of deaf and hard of hearing LGBT people while increasing awareness about the needs of the deaf and hard of hearing community.
- BRAVO (Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization) 614-294-STOP (7867) www.bravo-ohio.org Works to eliminate violence perpetuated on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identification through prevention, advocacy, violence documentation and survivor services.
- Equality Ohio 614-224-0400 www.equalityohio.org A statewide lobbying organization working to secure equality for LGBT Ohioans.
- FreedomOhio 614-246-3807 www.freedomohio.com The Freedom to Marry Ohio movement is dedicated to ending marriage discrimination in Ohio.
- Kaleidoscope Youth Center 614-294-5437 www.kycohio.org Provides advocacy, education, support and a save environment for LGBT youth in Central Ohio.
- P-FLAG Columbus 614-806-8025 http://columbuspflag.com/index.html An educational advocacy group working to increase awareness and understanding for Central Ohio’s LGBT citizens and their families, friends, and allies.
- TransOhio 614-441-8164 www.transohio.org Serves the Ohio transgender and allied community by providing services, education, support, and advocacy.
- Why Marriage Matters Ohio www.whymarriagemattersoh.org A marriage equality education campaign supporting the right for any loving, committed Ohio couple to marry.
- Diversity & Identity Studies Collective (DISCO): The Ohio State University, 455 Hagerty Hall, 1775 College Rd., Columbus OH, 43210 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org https://disco.osu.edu/
- The Diversity & Identity Studies Collective at OSU – DISCO – is an interdisciplinary and university-wide project that seeks to coordinate and foster collaboration among a number of departments and academic programs that focus on aspects of diverse identities.
- DISCO is a collaborative intellectual venture at Ohio State that explores the multiple dimensions of identity, culture, social difference, and power within our increasingly complex national and global worlds.
- The primary goals of the collective are to:
- Promote innovative and intersectional research on issues of diversity, identity, and social difference and power.
- Coordinate and advertise courses and curricula on these issues.
- Sponsor diversity-focused intellectual and creative programs
- DISCO Academic Programs include: American Indian Studies, Asian American Studies, Disability Studies, Latino/a Studies, and Sexuality Studies.
- Sexuality Studies: The Ohio State University, 455 Hagerty Hall, 1775 College Rd., Columbus Ohio, 43210, E-Mail: email@example.com, http://sexualitystudies.osu.edu/
- Academic program within DISCO
- Sexuality Studies examines how social, historical, psychological, literary, legal, biological, and political contexts shape sexual practices, expressions, identities, and representations.
- Department of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies: The Ohio State University, 286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall, Columbus OH, 43210, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org https://wgss.osu.edu/
- The mission of the Department of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) is to generate and transmit knowledge about the gendered nature of our lives and the ways gender, sexuality and other categories of identity shape and are shaped by culture and society.
- Goldberg Center: The Ohio State University, 207 Dulles Hall, 230 West 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43210 http://goldbergcenter.osu.edu/
- The Harvey Goldberg Center for Excellence in Teaching is at the heart of the OSU Department of History’s effort to promote innovative and effective teaching strategies. The Goldberg Center is committed to advancing cutting edge research, engaged teaching, and substantive community outreach to prepare our students and other citizens to become life-long learners and responsible leaders in all walks of life. The Goldberg Center has a three-fold mission:
- To provide professional development, focused especially on pursuing the best strategies for teaching with technology
- To produce a series of publications designed to provide quality teaching and learning materials
- To engage in significant public outreach, especially aimed at teachers and students of history
- Transgender Archives at the University of Victoria: www.uvic.ca/transgenderarchives
- GLAAD: www.glaad.org A national organization that promotes fair, accurate, and inclusive media representation of LGBT people, as a means of challenging discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Human Rights Campaign: www.hrc.org The nation’s largest gay and lesbian political organization.
- NGLTF (National Gay and Lesbian Task Force): www.thetaskforce.org The leading progressive civil rights organization that has supported grassroots organizing since 1973.
- The National Coalition for LGBT Youth: www.outproud.org A wide range of resources available for youth and educators.
- GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network): http://www.glsen.org/ An organization that seeks to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression in K-12 schools.